Monday, May 30, 2016

Healthy Lifestyle Update- Power on with Protein Balls

I'm happy to share with you that I went to the Wharton Clinic over the weekend and was down 3lbs and 2 inches since last month! This is a total loss of 72 lbs since I started my journey/blog!

It's definitively progress.... but slower than I would like. My goal is to lose about  1.5lbs a week... so I ran through the past month to see what some of the issues that may have slowed my progress down a bit:
  • Stress (makes you hold on to fat for some reason)
  • Less sweat inducing exercise this month. For various reasons, I missed about half of my 1 hour zumba/aerobics classes this month.
  • Eating close to 1700 calories, rather than the 1600 calorie range I like to stick to
  • Eating more simple carbs and less protein than I would like
Thanks to myfitnesspal.com,, I was able to analyze that the quality of my food choices, on a nutrient, clean eating scale value, was not where I wanted to be. The amazing BR I met with at the clinic suggested ensuring that I meet my protein goals at every meal and snack to help me achieve my weight loss goals and suggested making these Protein Balls for quick energy snacking after working out.

Here's the breakdown she suggested:

  • 10-15g protein for breakfast
  • minimum of 20g of protein with lunch and dinner
  • always have protein with every snack



So, I went on a search for a good recipe for these illusive protein balls and found this really easy to make recipe.

The recipe suggests that it makes 20-24 balls, but I ended making 28 smaller balls, at about 70 calories and 4g of protein per ball.


Protein Energy Balls 
(adapted from http://www.thehealthymaven.com/2015/08/no-bake-oatmeal-protein-energy-balls.html)

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder (about 2 scoops)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup smooth natural peanut butter (or any nut butter)*
  • 3 T natural honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup raisins, chocolate chips, craisins or preferred add-in
  • 2-4 T liquid (almond milk, milk, water etc...)
Instructions
Add oats, protein powder, cinnamon and chia seeds to a large bowl.
Add in peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
Add in raisins (or preferred add-in). Mixture should be slightly sticky but still crumbly.
Slowly add in liquid 1 tablespoon at a time and using hands (get dirty!) combine until it comes together in a sticky ball that holds together. If mixture is too dry, add in more liquid but not so much that it won't hold shape.
Roll into balls using hands.
Place in a container to set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Store in fridge until ready to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...