Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Red is the new Black!

That's right, I am back in love with Red... Red food that is. (and my new red hot air popper). Red foods are just so good for you- red peppers, berries, tomatoes... and yes... I am back to the delightfully amazingly nutritious pomegranate!





I thought I would share with you a healthy alternative to some of the 'too sweet and fat laden' apple crisps out there... Yes, I am talking to you Jamie Oliver- your Apple Cranberry crisp at Sobey's was really delicious but everyone in my family thought it was way too sweet. OMG, what a proud moment for a mom/wife when her family recognizes that something is 'unhealthy'.

 Here are my seeded and drained pomegranates.

Next, peel, core and chop 4 apples, toss them with the juice of half a lemon, a tsp of cinnamon and a tsp of brown sugar. Scoop the apples into 3-4 individual ramekins.  Sprinkles with about 1 Tbsp of pomegranates.

For the topping, I use the 1/3 cup rule. So 1/3 cup of flour, brown sugar and melted butter. Mix that to about 3/4 cup of oatmeal. Add a tsp of cinnamon and a dash of salt.  Mix it all together and sprinkle on top of your ramekins with some chopped pecans and more pomegranates.

Pop them in a 375 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes, depending on how soft you like your baked apples! Amazing desert to share with the ones you love- Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...