Monday, March 7, 2016

Amazing Adventure- Rattlesnake Point and Soupy Sunday Finish

Today I want to share how awesome my Sunday was. It was actually much more than our hiking adventure and delicious soup. It started with a great power workout in the morning, followed by a delicious brunch with my parents. Love them so!  Then the 'serious' stuff started.


Before my daughter and I left for our hike, I put all the ingredients for this incredibly delicious Stuffed Pepper soup in my crockpot and ran to the hills. (recipe at bottom).


My daughter wanted to go for a hike to a place she'd never been...in the snow... in winter, Sigh!

So I say, 'anything to support my daughter's healthy living efforts', and we headed off to Milton to Rattlesnake Point. I remember this place way back in high school when my friend Janice and I would hike through the hills with our headbands, lip smackers and leg warmers... this time though, my daughter and I had the right equipment and spirit.



See, there was lots of snow, but it was patted down and fairly easy to hike on.


Look below this incredible selfie (LOL), we are up high on the mountain (ok, escarpment).




We read that this park was established in 1964 and the proof is carved into the rock.


Look at the gorgeous Melanie just looking out over the escarpment. The sun was amazing with just a little wind blowing. I captured the essence of her joy and excitement at trying something new and exploring the world around her. I LOVE this picture!


Interesting wooden tee pees.


Looking over the escarpment...


... and looking up at the cliffs, we saw some people climbing with their mountain climbing gear- just like my brother used to do.  I am so grateful for my beautiful daughter. I would not have gone out again after a big, sweaty gym workout in the morning, but she pushed me to try something new and it was amazing!

And now the Soupy Sunday part of this post.


Crockpot cooking is the best! After our hike, we came home and our dinner was ready!
I love sharing my Soupy Sunday recipes with you - especially when it's so effortless and really delicious. 

Here's the recipe.

Stuffed Pepper Soup (adapted from www.recipesthatcrock.com/slow-cooker-stuffed-pepper-soup/)

INGREDIENTS

1lb lean ground beef
1 diced onion
1 diced clove garlic
28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice  
2 chopped green peppers
1 chopped red pepper
4 cups low-sodium beef broth
½ T dried basil
½ T dried oregano
½ t paprika
½ t dried chili flakes
Salt and Pepper
2 cups cooked rice

INSTRUCTIONS
Brown beef with onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. Drain fat from beef and place in crockpot. Add all the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Meanwhile cook some rice. When ready to serve, put some cooked rice at the bottom of the bowl and spoon soup over.

1 comment:

  1. Chantal, You two both look so happy and healthy. What a great fun way to exercise and not realize it! I remember those legwarmer, headband hikes - fun times!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...