Friday, December 6, 2013

Modern Sweet Potato Stew

I love those Looney Spoons Girls, Janet and Greta Podleski. Any time I need to add a healthy, nutritious and tasty meal to my repertoire, I turn to their cookbooks and I am always impressed with the impressive flavour. It's all about the fresh herbs and spices. Have a look at my latest!

The names for these recipes crack me up! Check below...




One Flew over the Couscous Nest
(adapted from Crazy Plates: Low-Fat Food So Good, You'll Swear It's Bad for You by Janet and Greta Podleski)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp ground gingerroot
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup each chopped onions and chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp each ground coriander and curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 c chicken broth
3 c peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
1 c couscous
2 tbsp orange juice concentrate
3/4 c light coconut milk
2 tbsp each cornstarch and chopped fresh cilantro



Heat olive oil and add chicken, ginger and garlic. Cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink (Since I used cooked chicken, I just sauteed the garlic and ginger with the onions). Add onions and pepper and cook 3 minutes. Stir in spices and cook for 1 more minute.

Gorgeous Sweet Potatoes ... the star of the show!

Add broth and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.

Meanwhile, prepare couscous per directions, but add orange juice concentrate to couscous before adding water. ( I used quinoa, but you could use any grain you enjoy).

Combine coconut milk and cornstarch until smooth. 

Add to chicken and veggies along with cilantro. Increase heat and cook until thickened.

Serve over fluffed up grain of your choice. Now go an create your own magic in your cold winter kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...