Monday, November 25, 2013

A few of my huband's favourite things...

Peanut butter and some football, to start...

I love my husband, and so when I want him to enjoy some healthy alternatives to the usual Sunday NFL snacks, I make him some homemade, heart healthy snacks. Quacamole is one of his favourites, and I thought I would try incorporating Chia seeds -full of Omega-3 and fibre- into some oatmeal peanut butter cookies.  Of course, served warm from the oven with a cup of his favourite tea in his team mug, it was a recipe for success!

... and for me, a little dark chocolate, just a few little chips, makes the whole thing a totally delicious snack. Check his little cute smile in the background!

Here's the recipe:



Chia Seed Peanut Butter Oat Cookies

Yield: 24 cookies

Serving Size: 1 cookie, Calories per serving: 133

Ingredients

    1.5 cups rolled oats
    1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp Chia seeds
    1/4 cup coconut oil, room temperature & unmelted (I used butter)
    1/2 cup Stevia baking blend (brown sugar would also work)
    3/4 cup peanut butter or other nutbutter
    2 eggs
    2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Instructions

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine oats, flour, baking powder and Chia seeds in a medium bowl and set aside.  Add coconut oil, Stevia, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla to a mixing bowl and beat ingredients together using an electric mixer.
Gradually add oat mixture to wet mixture and stir together with the electric mixer. Stir in chocolate chips.
Spoon about 1.5 tbsp of dough onto baking sheet that has been prepared with parchment paper or natural cooking spray. I like a flatter cookie, so I used my hands to flatten dough and shape it in to a circle. These cookies will not spread, so you can set them on the baking sheet close to another cookie.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for a couple of minutes.



...couldn't wait to taste those golden, puffy mounds of chia, peanut butter, oatmeal goodness!

Oh, there's one of my husband's favourite things-  Kiss... and me serving him some fresh baked wholesome peanut butter cookies in his old Kiss concert tee, PRICELESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...