Saturday, October 22, 2011

Healthy Eating Plan- the advice

I need to go grocery shopping today to make delicious and healthy meals for the week. I wanted to share my inspiration with you. Along with following the guidelines of a weight management team of experts, they recommend that you read this book.

I hate the word diet, it implies something that you are going to start and stop. But Dr. Oz knows a few things so I decided to pick up the book. It's a great read and really nails down what is wrong with what we feed ourselves and families. Over-processed crap. Think of it, should a loaf of bread really last  10 days on the counter?
So gone are the days of 100 calorie packs- you know the ones, all they are is 100 calories of sugar/salt/white flour.  And picture my new life now, if we need snacks, I bake them, Oatmeal cookies, granola, good for you muffins. If I need to buy something 'packaged' I look at the ingredients and make sure that the words, white flour, sucrose/glucose are not on the ingredient list. In fact, all the breads, pasta, rice, flour now is whole grain/whole wheat.... I never would have done this before. I grew up on everything white and bland. Whole wheat/grain adds such a dimension, a nuttiness,  take for example whole wheat pancakes made from scratch with fresh raspberries in the mix (recipe to come).
So at the store, I shop now mostly along the outside aisles, fresh fruit, vegetables, dairy, fresh meat and whole grain bakery products. Don't forget the bulk food section for whole raw almonds!
The only packaged products I now enjoy for their great fibre, protein and whole grains are Kashi products. Delicious and nutritious.  Ok, that is my morning sharing... I am off to create!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...