Monday, October 29, 2012

Fall time means Applesauce bread!

So check out my new Fall discovery- Applesauce bread. Thanks to my dear friend Janice who mentioned this was her favourite 'bread' to make in the fall. I did some research and found a lower calorie/fat/sugar bread and tested it out.... and it's a Winner!


Tasty & Healthy Applesauce Bread
Adapted from Food.com
 Serves: 12, Yield: 12 slices
Ingredients
        1 egg
        1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
        2 tablespoons vegetable oil
        1/2 cup brown sugar ( firmly packed)
        2 cup whole wheat flour
        2 teaspoons baking powder
        1/2 teaspoon baking soda
        1 teaspoon salt

        1 teaspoon cinnamon
        1/4 cup raisins
        1/4 cup walnut pieces (or pecans)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a loaf pan.
    Mix beaten egg with applesauce, oil, sugar, cinnamon and salt, and combine thoroughly.
    Stir in flour, baking soda and baking powder; mix well.
    Stir in raisins and walnut pieces.
    Pour into well-greased loaf pan and bake at 350° for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
    Let it rest in pan for 10 min., then turn out and allow to cool on rack.
Per serving: Calories 169.8, Total Fat 4.5g, Sugars 10.5 g, Total Carbohydrate 30.2g, Dietary Fiber 2.1g, Protein 3.4g

OH, BUT WAIT....
I couldn't just follow the recipe, I doubled the recipe and...
For one bread I  used currants, shredded coconut and walnuts...

... and for another bread I used chopped pecans, dried cranberries and dark chocolate chips.

... and then, when all was said and done... I enjoyed a small slice with my Mickey Mouse Coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...