Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Earth Hour - Mexican Style

We celebrated Earth Hour in Mexican Style a few weekends ago. First we had a nice Mexican dinner and then played some games 'in the dark'. Fun Family Times were had by all! We made sure we were all done cooking and stuff before the 8 o'clock hour.

Here you have a concoction I had been dreaming about for a while. Beef Tostadas.... but with healthy vessels.
What I did instead of using the fried corn tostadas, I made my own healthy alternative. I sprayed a fry pan with Pam and then placed the whole wheat tortilla on it and then spray the top side. Making sure I didn't burn it. I then flipped it to the other side until it got crunchy.

I cooked up some extra lean ground beef - I added about a cup of fresh salsa and some chili powder, salt and pepper to spice it up.

I made some delicious 'Szos Guac'.

Chopped up some sweet yellow peppers.

Shredded up some crispy romaine hearts.

...then came the building of the 'mountain'.... tostatda, beef, shredded low fat cheddar.... and then whatever you like on top. As you can see from the first picture at the top, I kicked mine up with some tomatoes, salsa, kalamata olives, guac, sour cream and jalapenos (ok- I was trying to be a tough girl, they burned the crap out of my mouth- but I always see Brent doing it .... so why not!).

Here's Melanie enjoying her creation... let me tell you, they are good, but quite messy. Definitively not a 'first date' food choice.
Ok, they never really let me pick them up at the same time, but Ace and Diamond were sleeping on the couch and I had to get them while they were still drowsy... how cute eh? They can't wait for Earth Hour!

Mella has to get in on the action too, look at Ace's smoldering eyes... He's sexy and he knows it!

Following the Earth Hour Conservation Movement, from 8-9pm we turned off all the lights. We light a whole bunch of candles and shared some homemade oatmeal cookies and coffee and played some Yahtzee. Melanie's first time, and she beat us! Beginner's luck!

The shimmery lights were nice, but we had to pull out some flashlights to see the Yahtzee dice!

Mella made a little poster to commemorate the event. Get it! So what you see there is a reflection of our kitchen light fixture on the window, and you also see our neighbours in the apartments across the street not really following along!!!!
Here's my beautiful girl... she didn't last long playing Yahtzee, we only played one game... too much math I guess!!! So we played Headbanz... too funny, especially since she could see her reflection in the window!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...