Monday, December 5, 2011

Soupy Sundays- Parsnip and Carrot Soup

Parsnip and Carrot Soup

This delicious addition to the Soupy Sundays Repertoire comes from my mom's kitchen. When I left for University (quite a few years ago) my sweet, sweet mother created a recipe book for me of all her and my family favourites. She actually typed - that's right kids... with a typewriter (it was 1986)- on index cards.

This is one of my favourite soups ever. Thanks Mom!

Pictured here in my Christmas bowls.


Ingredients:

2 Tbsp butter
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 potato, peeled  and chopped
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup milk (my mom's recipe called for cream- but I changed it up for a healthier choice)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garnish- chopped green onion or fresh parsley

Directions:
Melt butter in saucepan, add carrots, parsnips, onion abd potato. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender (or place it in a blender) and blend mixture until smooth. Add in milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reheat without boiling. Garnish with green onion or parsley.

Serves 6

Nutrional Information:

168 calories
27g carbs
4g fat
6g protein
5g fibre

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...