Saturday, May 5, 2012

Organic Garage Shopping Fun... on a mission for 'Healthy Salt'

I had heard from my friend Szos, who's Guacamole recipe I shared with you, that using natural, not overly processed salt was actually good for you- so much better than the iodized stuff that I should avoid because of my high blood pressure. So I wanted to visit my fav. organic store and look around...

All these choices....

Then I stumbled upon these cute little bottles, with the grinder built in- I always seem to get crappy grinders, so this would be a hole-in-one! But which one to choose?

I remembered my colleague Joan had this salt in her goody bag of healthy tricks, so that is what I purchased. Pink Himalayan Salt. So I did some research when I got home about the benefits. Here is what I found about this salt that tastes to 'good' and you really don't need very much at all. I found this info on:

"What is Himalayan Crystal Salt?

Himalayan pink salts are the most natural, cleanest and most pure salts found on the face of the earth. The salts are a fossilized sea salt that have been dried by the sun over millions of years from a time when there was no man made pollution on the planet.

Himalayan crystal salts are pink in colour unlike the normal standard table or 'sea salt', this is because the minerals in the salts have not been removed by the refining process.

What makes Himalayan Salt healthier than Table Salt?

Himalayan salts contain a massive 84 minerals and trace elements such as copper, potassium, magnesium, calcium and iron to name only a few - the pink colour in the salt is due to the Iron content within the salt.

Himalayan salts helps eliminate toxins from the body, helps circulation, and helps to balance the body's PH levels (acid/alkaline balance ), keeps the nervous system working correctly and keeps your muscles in tact as well as relaxing muscles.

The tiny mineral particles in the Himalayan sea salt are metabolised easily inside your body to help the human cells function correctly.

As you are aware doctors and health experts will say that too much salt is bad for your health and advise people to lower their salt intake.

This is true with any salt even the most natural cleanest salt on earth can be bad for you if it is consumed to excess. But why are refined salts so much more unhealthier than unrefined natural salts such as the Himalayan?

Refined salts are just sodium chloride, standard table salt and even most varieties of sea and rock salt have the minerals removed from the salt because they are refined.

The minerals are classed as impurities and are stripped from the salt which leaves the salt with no mineral content and just a high amount of sodium chloride. This is extremely unhealthy for the body as high amounts of it cannot be excreted from the body and cause all kinds of health problems as it can store in the body (bones and organs).

Sodium chloride needs the other trace minerals in the correct amounts for it to function correctly in your body.

We all need salt to live as our body's are made up of water and salt it is very important. But do you really want to put a refined salt that has been heated up to a massive 1200F and had every nutrient stripped from it into your body?"

So what do you think? I think I made a good choice!!!!
 
Onto another subject.... quick, kid-friendly, healthier alternative foods. Here comes Annie's! This replaces Kraft Dinner, it's made with healthier ingredients and tastes sooo much better. Best of all Melanie loves it!

I bought 2 different kinds for those nights when you need a real quick- I don't feel like cooking- moments. Just serve with a healthy salad and you have a quick meal.

I also bought these Organic Earth's Best Cookie Monster cookies- 'ME WANT COOKIE'- that's Oatmeal and Cinnamon cookies for you Miss Mella.

How about these? A healthy version of Bits and Bites- Bunnies Style. The cheddar flavour is really authentic and it's nice with the crunchy pretzels.

Love these, so good in your purse for a snack or my favourite application.... and Mella's too, sprinkled over salads!

Ok, but if you really want to know the truth, Melanie's favourite thing to sprinkle over salad is CROUTONS! She eats them like candy... I had never looked for a healthy alternative, but then I stumbled upon these. Organic Fresh Gourmet Seasoned Croutons. They taste great...

Look at these 'good for you' ingredients-I am sold!

But seriously.... you've seen me blog about these before.. they are my absolute favourite treat. The Honeybar... all natural honey, peanuts and some dried fruit... that's all- and they taste so good and are so filling... and good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...