Saturday, March 31, 2012

Birthday Celebration - Healthy Eating Challenge

Recently, we celebrated my husband's birthday. It was going to be a busy weekend and we were going to go out to a restaurant to celebrate his birthday -on the Saturday- and then celebrate his birthday at home the following day. So it was going to be a Healthy Eating Challenge. So let me tell you what I did.

Here we are on the Saturday afternoon attending a play with Melanie's Girl Guide troupe- a presentation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Do you know what where we ended up for dinner after the play???? Yup, Red Lobster, Brent's favourite. It wasn't our plan to go to this restaurant, but it was right there, so after waiting a little too long, we finally got a table. The server was 'wayyyyyyy' to efficient with serving us the Cheddar Bay Biscuits. They are my favourite and the reason I love this place. But I knew I had to eat in moderation. So I had just one to start... I later found out they are 150 calories each- so good choice.

I decided to order my favourite, crab legs, a whole pound. I was thinking, this is probably the healthiest choice because it's just steamed, no other sauces are poured on.

Well, I was right, one pound of crab legs is 180 calories, and think of the effort you have to put into getting at that crab meet, cracking and picking and all! Well I did dip it in a bit of melted butter, the butter had almost as many calories as the crab. Which weighs more on your body? a pound of butter or a pound of crab legs???

Melanie looks frightened here.... holding a crab leg in fear! But we have a rule, she has to try a new food once, just to taste, just one little bite. So I gave her a little piece of crab and she ate it, but unfortunately, she didn't like it.  But Brent liked it! He never really had it before. I had a garden salad to start, balsamic vinaigrette on the side, it came with rice, and I just gave it away so I could enjoy another biscuit... good call! So that wasn't too bad of a dinner. I managed to make healthy choices, somewhat, and really enjoy my dinner.
After dinner I still wanted to celebrate with something sweet... but something that wasn't giant and sooooooooooooo unhealthy. So we went to Starbucks, ordered skinny Cafe Mistos and had a mini pastry each. I wished they had the red velvet whoopie pie (my favourite), but they were out, so I had a chocolate whoopie pie, it was really good, it had a coffee taste to it... and decadent... It was 190 calories for that little bite. But it was worth it! Just dance it off girl!!!

Next day was Brent's birthday, we celebrated at home with some cute little sports-themed presents... his favourites! I made Steak Fajitas for dinner, his favourite.

I made him the type of dessert he enjoys... (not for me) a creamy whipped desert. I got this from the Kraft Cooking Magazine I get in the mail. So it's not at all 'clean' eating... except I made it light with light cool whip and sugar-free butterscoth pudding.

You do use milk, pecans and butter- cleaner ingredients...

But what counts the most is that Brent loved it! Here is blowing out the one candle, I can't afford to put the right number of candles on this pie for him - hahahahaha!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...