Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Superbowl Chili and things

For the big day, it's our tradition to make some chili. This year was no different... I made it in our new crockpot and it turned out nice and spicy... no beans please though (Melanie and I don't like them).

Superbowl Chili


Here's my recipe:

1lb of extra lean ground beef
1 onion chopped
28 oz can of chopped/seasoned tomatoes
28 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 green and half a red pepper chopped
chili powder or cayenne pepper and sweet chili and peppers seasoning

Brown the beef in a pan with the onions, add some chili powder or other seasonings to your liking... about 2 Tbsp. Add the cooked beef, tomatoes, sauce and peppers to the crockpot. Add a bit more chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for about 7-8 hours. I serve it with about a 2 Tbsp of shredded low fat cheddar cheese.

Nutrional Information: (serves 7 people, about 1.5 cups per serving)

182 calories, 10g carb, 8g fat, 17g protein, 2g fibre, 5g sugar

This is what I like to serve the chili with. Tortilla chips. I found these at the Organic Garage. They pretty much contain only real ingredients : White corn, sunflower oil/and or corn oil, salt. That's it!
Here's the Dets...
When I was at Whole Foods, I was looking at their baked goods to see what I could get that would be a nice treat with the Chili. You have to be careful, some items contain bad fats and things... so read the ingredients... But I did find the giant Pretzel Twists, delicious!

And these Challah Cheese Rolls.... a nice treat- not a low fat option, but a nice addition to the chili for the Superbowl- it's about 200 calories per roll, but with the chili being pretty low in calories- it works out. Even though I just watched the Half-Time Show with Madonna... I still participated in the Superbowl.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...