Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy and Healthy Christmas at my Parents Home

This year my mother and I decided to revamp the Christmas Eve/Christmas Dinner menu and make it healthier and lower in fat and calories. I think we did a great job and no one noticed that it wasn't 'regular' Christmas food.  Check it out...

I got this idea from another blogger (http://jensownroad.blogspot.com/search/label/baby%20shower)
and thought this would be a great substitute for the usual and very heavy chocolate foundue. Since strawberries are usually our favourite things to dip in chocolate... this was a great alternative


So you take some Angel Food Cake and cut it into small cubes and skewer them with strawberries. Lay them on some cookie sheets covered with wax paper.

Take some dark and delicious chocolate and melt it in the microwave. I chose this delicious/organic/good for you Green & Black 70% Dark Organic chocolate bar. You can melt it in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes, only do 1 minute at a time and then stir it so you don't scortch it.

And there you have it. Art with chocolate! Just use a fork to drizzle it on the skewers and then place in the fridge.
Close up shot.


My sister and I enjoying them on Christmas Eve, pretending to have a skewer sword fight...Corny, I know.

Talking about my sister.... look at her and her husband... and her little- but getting bigger- pregnant belly. She is now 6 months pregnant. Yipee!


So this is a Christmas Eve "Healthy Food Mash Up" for you to check out and see what we enjoyed.
  • For appetizers we had veggies and light ranch dip
  • Cold shrimp and cocktail sauce
  • Zippy Hot Broccoli Dip. This delicious hot dip- lightened up- was delicious with rice crackers http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/zippy-hot-broccoli-dip-91892.aspx
  • For Dinner we enjoyed a fresh Boston Bibb salad with almonds and cranberries
  • A French-Canadian Tourtiere (ok, that's not a light choice- but I just had a small piece)
  • Some pickled beets and olives
  • Here's my plate- lots of salad, small tourtiere, small piece of ham and some olives
  • And finally, some delicious Strawberry/Angel food cake skewers.

But Christmas is not just about food, it's about family and celebrating love and sharing and of course- the birth of baby Jesus, but check out what happens when my family gets together...

Present explosion!!!!! My parents have always spoiled us like crazy and this year was no different. Here's Melanie standing on top of the mountain of presents on Christmas Eve.

Here's a Happy Holidays from the Hallidays Pose!


Ok, here's another one of Julie's baby belly, I couldn't resist, it's so exciting to think that next Christmas we will have a brand new baby to love and spoil and share the magic of Christmas with!


My wonderful parents-thanks for the memories!
The ladies of Christmas say 'Cheese'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...