Friday, January 6, 2012

A little Christmas Indulgence... it's ok!

So alot of what my healthy living mentors (Wharton Clinic, Dr. Oz) mention is that you should not try to lose weight during the Holidays, but just maintain your weight. Some of the great strategies they all mention is to make sure you still get some activity... well let me tell you on Boxing Day, Melanie and I went for a good hour long walk outside exploring the neighbourhood! And think of all the time you might have spent cooking, preparing, getting your house clean for the Holidays... that's activity too!

The other thing they mention is that it is ok to have a small portion of a special food on a special occassion. Well let me tell you... I did just that and 'logged' all the food I had on myfitnesspal.com for the day and it was all within my calorie count. That's because I ate so many veggies those days...



...when I knew there might be a little treat to indulgence in- like this one...


My mother received these beautiful gourmet truffles as a hostess gift over the Holidays and she decided to share them with us on Christmas Day. Well, I tried the truffle with the 'red splat' and it was a delicious and decadent dark chocolate and raspberry dream. One of my favourite combinations!
  
We enjoyed some delicious Christmas turkey, I had some breast meat of course, but I did indulge in a little skin let me tell you! 

We wore our 'Indulgent Christmas Hats'! 

This was my Christmas dinner plate. See, half the plate is vegetables (okay, I know potatoes are counted as a vegetable). I had some turkey with a little bit of gravy, some homemade cranberry sauce, some steamed broccoli in lemon and cashews, some boiled potatoes with cranberries and walnuts and some shredded brussel sprouts with a bit of bacon. I did not have the bun/bread with butter on the side that I would have usually enjoyed- I could have that stuff any day. This was a special meal so I ate really beautifully created special Christmas food. Like these ligther versions of traditional Christmas Baking.


These you all saw on previous blog entries. These are the Christmas cookies I baked. Deep Dark Chocolate cookies, 'Sugar Cookies', Orange Ginger Molasses cookies, Almond, Cranberry dark chocolate chip cookies and these 'weird almond cinnamon merringue' mistakes (won't be sharing that recipe).
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...