Thursday, November 3, 2011

Battle of the Bars- Clif vs. Lara

Healthy Alternatives to Snacking (on overprocessed, sugar-filled store bought) Granola Bars

The Battle of the Bars- Clif Bar vs. Lara Bar

I had heard about these 'Energy Bars' before, I had always thought they were too expensive (about $1.60-$2.00), but now faced with needing to eat every 2-3 hours and eat snack that have protein and fibre and 'good for you' ingredients, I decided to try a Clif Bar, these are great as a mini-meal replacement, look down at the nutrional info. I first tried the Peanut butter and chocolate Clif Bar- it was so filling I had to share it with my daughter, I was impressed by how delicious it was. It tasted too good to be good for you.

I always keep one in my purse for those times when you are out running around and need a nutritious snack, this time I bought a different kind, sounds good to me, Chocolate Almond Fudge.

I was talking about this with my colleague Joan who is from Denver (and a healthy eating nut), she introduced me to a different kind of Energy bar- to Lara Bar.



She mentioned that they were created by a woman from Denver and that they are less processed and have only natural ingredients.... and they are delicious. She brought one in for me to try -Peanut Butter- and she's right, they are great!  It was more moist than the Clif Bar, but the kicker is the list of ingredients... check it out.

This is the Lara Bar ingredients... 3 of them, that's it.

This is Clif bar list of ingredients... too many to count, but it's all 'good' for you and made with 70% organic ingredients.

They both have similar nutrional information too, one has more fat, one has more carbs... you make the choice.

Clif Bar Nutrional Information:
for  68g bar

250 calories
44g carbs
5g fat
10g protein
5g fibre

Lara Bar Nutrional Information:
for 48g bar

220 calories
23g carbs
12g fat
7g protein
4g fibre




4 comments:

  1. That was a great comparison, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But which one would you buy in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question... I think I would by the Clif bar, to me it tastes like a 'square' your mom used to make back in the day with peanuts and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carson has been eating Clif bars for a long time now when he needs a quick snack on route to a hockey game. He loves them but I find them hard to find .... let me know if you know who always carries them other than costco (dont have one of those close by). Thanks! Sue Farfaloo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always found them at Longos and Loblaws. But they tend to be a bit much ($1.99 and $1.49) each, so it would be good to find them on sale somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...