Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Might as well make your own croutons....

Funny twist on that old Kim Mitchel song, might as well go for soda!
Sing song time aside, what I wanted to share with you here is the fact that for the first time in my life, I made my own croutons.
Let me tell you folks, I put all my years of watching the Food Network to good use!

We were out of croutons- I now buy the 'organic' croutons, which are better for you. But when you are out and your family cries for 'crunchy' stuff in their salad, you have to think outside the box (the crouton box that is!). So I decided to make my own. I used a couple day old whole wheat baguette. I cut them into cubes and put it in a big bowl. I tossed the cubes with olive oil- about 2 tbsp, pink Himalayan sea salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Coated every little piece and placed them on a cookie sheet. Baked it at 425F for about 8 minutes and tossed them, and put them back in for another 5 minutes. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't burn.

Brent BBQ'd some chicken breasts and I made a nice salad with berries and cucumber and put a light balsamic dressing and tossed my croutons in. It was a light and lovely meal.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...